Museums & Collections

The Heubach Castle

1525 At the beginning of the 16th Century, Georg von Woellwarth decided that life in the mountain castle Rosenstein was becoming too inhospitable. He thus had a large new estate built inside the protective walls of the town: the Heubach Castle.

1625 A century later, the castle was remodeled in accordance with the new criteria of comfort. The large rooms were divided into smaller ones. This led to the construction of separate apartments, and the number of heatable rooms increased from the original five to eight in the 17th century.

1744 Until the beginning of the 18th century, the castle was used as residence by various members of the Woellwarth family. During the 18th century, the castle was owned by town citizens and later by farmers, so that any later changes were of functional nature only. The attic and the second floor were used as storage and hay loft. Thanks to this, the second floor has remained almost entirely untouched until today.

1991 Having bought back the last privately owned part of the castle, the town was able to start with the renovation works.

In 1997 the town library was inaugurated and the partially renovated castle became accessible to visitors. Since then, the most beautiful room is used as a wedding chamber. The unique corsetry museum of Heubach is housed in the renovated rooms of the first floor. On the same floor, the local history collection “Geschichtssplitter” provides insight into our past.

Corsetry museum

When a tourist asks for directions to the Heubach castle, the locals usually know that he is set not only to admire the half-timbered house from the 16th century, but also to get an insight into the hidden soul of femininity, which often manifests itself by the way it drapes its most hidden part.

The corsetry museum – the only one of its kind in Germany – is housed on the first floor of the castle. What was hidden by ladies in the course of the various centuries is now openly displayed in these rooms.

The museum was founded in 1971, as an initiative of the mayor of the time Friedrich Schenk in collaboration with both corset producers of Heubach: “SUSA-WERKE GmbH” and “TRIUMPH INTERNATIONAL”. The corset museum, which was originally housed in the town hall, was moved to its new quarters on the first floor of the Heubach castle in 2005.

Local history museum

The local history museum “Heubacher Geschichtssplitter”, which was inaugurated in December 2006, chronologically addresses the major areas of the history of Heubach.
The museum intends to provide the people of Heubach with new insights and joy about their town and its history.
In addition to this, the example of a small town allows visitors to get to get an compressed insight into the history and structures of a town and a region.

Historical classroom

Experience school history!

In its historical classroom, the booster club Schwäbisch Gmünder Schulmuseum e.V. offers schools, teachers and other groups the opportunity to experience a class as taught around 1900.

Since December 2008, the historical classroom is housed in the knight’s hall of the Heubach Castle. Adequately furnished and decorated, it radiates a unique charm from days long gone. A special focus is set on the various types of handwriting (Current, Deutsche Schrift, Sütterlin, latin and simplified writing: the German Schulausgangschrift), the punishments of the time and subjects such as local history, manual work and religion.

Contact details historical classroom

Appointment:
By phone: 07171/73675 (Gerda Fetzer)

Information requests can also be made via the town hall in Heubach:
07173/181-51 (Frau Pechstein)

Fees for the guided tour (60 min.):
Students: 40 Euro,
Adults: 50 Euro

Fees for the guided tour (up to 90 min.):
Students: 50 Euro,
Adults: 60 Euro
Single visitors or small groups:
Appointments and fees to be discussed

Parking in front of the castle is free (for up to 3 hours)!

Good restaurants on-site!

Police museum

Because the predecessors of the police station of Heubach were totally unknown, and because no documents regarding these people were available at the beginning of the 80’s, Dieter Zellmer, a retired chief inspector, started to take interest in the history of his department.

He started by trying to collect the names of the country policemen, gendarmes and police officers of the past.

In order to do this, he started by exploring the old index cards and family registers in the town hall, the town archives, the church registers in Heubach, Bartholomä and Bobingen.

Mister Zellmer then relentlessly followed the paths of all policemen and their descendants through the Church registers, the records of the registration and notary’s office and the cemetery administration until he found descendants who were still alive. He then personally contacted the descendants as well as all colleagues who were still alive.

All documents, badges, books, weapons, helmets and other personal objects with which he was entrusted were partially displayed in his office. This collection was completed by documents from the archives of the District Office of Schwäbisch Gmünd and the state archives in Ludwigsburg.

The idea to set up a museum had already been discussed in the early 90’s but it was not yet ripe for decision. However, everyone was quick to agree when the town of Heubach offered a free location for this museum.

The foundation meeting of the non-profit “Polizeimuseum Förderverein Heubach e.V.” took place on February, 17th, 2003. In addition to the already mentioned personal objects, the museum also depicts the history of the country policemen of Heubach and Bartholomä since the founding of their corps (on 11.09.1807 by King Friedrich von Württemberg) and more specifically since the setting up of the police station

House “Anna Vetter”

Anna Vetter, born in 1902, was bequeathed this house by her father Jakob (1862-1923), who was a mason. When Anna Vetter died on September, 24, 1984, the town of Heubach purchased the house from the heirs. The construction date of the little house in the Possgässle is not known.
Starting from June 2004, volunteers put in more than 700 work hours in order to renovate it. They had to fight against mould, decay and lovelessness. On 12.03.2015, the house “Anna Vetter” was opened to the public for the first time.
The furniture was provided by the estate of Anna Vetter and by generous donors. This allows for the house to be fully decorated in the style of the early 20th century with a typical bed, stove, lamps and even decorative fabrics.
The little house is definitely worth visiting: its low ceilings and the beams which literally caused many headaches, the bedroom which is not quite 5m² large, the even smaller kitchen all combine to give it a special charm. No single wall is straight and there is not even one piece of wood that isn’t bent or stretched.

A combined visit of this extraordinary house and the corset museum can be arranged.

Please send your information requests to:

Stadverwaltung Heubach (Town Administration)
E-Mail:
Tel.: +49 (71) 7 31 81-0
Fax: +49 (71) 7 31 81-49
Der Eintritt ist frei

Deutsch English

Öffnungszeiten Miedermuseum

Dienstag
9.00 Uhr bis 13.00 Uhr
15.00 Uhr bis 18.30 Uhr
Mittwoch
9.00 Uhr bis 12.00 Uhr
15.00 Uhr bis 18.00 Uhr
Donnerstag
9.00 Uhr bis 12.00 Uhr
Freitag
9.00 Uhr bis 12.00 Uhr
13.00 Uhr bis 17.00 Uhr
Samstag
9.00 Uhr bis 13.00 Uhr
Sonntag
14.00 Uhr bis 17.00 Uhr
Montags und an Feiertagen ist das Museum geschlossen.

Bei größeren Gruppen sollte eine telefonische Voranmeldung unter Fon: 07173/181-51 (Zentrale) erfolgen.
Führungen - auch außerhalb dieser Öffnungszeiten - sind ebenfalls vorher anzumelden.

Eintritt
2,00 EUR (ab 16 Jahren)
Für eine Führung sind zusätzlich zum Eintritt einmalig 20,00 EUR zu bezahlen.

Contact details historical classroom

Appointment:
By phone: 07171/73675 (Gerda Fetzer)

Information requests can also be made via the town hall in Heubach:
07173/181-51 (Frau Pechstein)

Fees for the guided tour (60 min.):
Students: 40 Euro,
Adults: 50 Euro

Fees for the guided tour (up to 90 min.):
Students: 50 Euro,
Adults: 60 Euro
Single visitors or small groups:
Appointments and fees to be discussed

Parking in front of the castle is free (for up to 3 hours)!

Good restaurants on-site!